Tuesday 6 January 2015

The SANTA EXPRESS

Way back in October, when the grey days were upon us I decided that I would book a family treat. An experience to look forward to and to raise our spirits in the grey days leading in to winter.  I kept the actual experience a secret from the children - simply telling them that on that specific day in December we were having a special family day out.


And boy, it did not disappoint.  Perhaps I was most excited of all as it was my plan - although Little Man was a very close second.  We stood on the platform waiting with the beautiful steam train on a cold and crispy winters day full of anticipation.  It puffed in to the station and we chose our seats in a lovely, vintage carriage.


We enjoyed sherry and mince pies (and the children juice and chocolate) before arriving at our destination - another quaint station housing Father Christmas in his grotto.  I was a little disappointed at this stage - it was clearly a 'person helper' of the big man but the children were happy and went away with a nice little gift!  




Whilst we were at this station the children could get into the cabin of the steam engine and properly look at the gauges, fire and handles - very special.






The weather was kind - a beautiful winters day which added to our enjoyment as we were on our journey.  The Somerset countryside passing by our window at a beautiful pace.











On our return journey we played Jenga (Little Lady's gift from Father Christmas) and they built with the bricks.  It was a real joy to spend such quality time together in this way; momentarily taking our family back to a time when life was much simpler with less distractions.


This is another wonderful memory captured whilst the magic of Christmas is fully embraced and I shall treasure it.

This post was drafted mid December awaiting photographs (a cause for delay) and thus I've added them and pressed publish to record it here.  I do so hope you had a wonderful Christmas Time.  I've another catch up post to share soon plus lots more to share over the coming days,  Take care,
J9 x

9 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun, Janine. When my kids were younger, we had a similar train outing where they put a Thomas the Tank engine on the front of the train instead of the regular one and my kids loved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - a Thomas train?! My son would have loved that a couple years ago. It was lovely to do as a one off treat! J9 x

      Delete
  2. I bet they'll look back on that day in future years and remember it with great fondness. It looks fantastic, my boys would love to do something like that x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bless you Bridget, I do hope so. I try to remember myself that children will remember the things we did together rather than the things they have at Christmas time. J9 x

      Delete
  3. What a fab day! We saw one of those types of santas too, but tomas didn't seem to mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy - your comment made me smile. It was very strange - I left the room and commented "Well he must have been a Father Christmas Helper" and the children looked at me blankly and said "What do you mean Mummy?" Such innocence... I just shook my head and said "Oh, nothing"!!! Very sweet. J9 x

      Delete
  4. What fabulous memories for you all!! So glad that you had such a great time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy - I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog and the great times you have had too, J9 x

      Delete
  5. What an amazing day. Like Jennifer, we did a Thomas the Tank Engine day a few years ago, up at Lydney in the Forest of Dean. It was absolutely fantastic, a real old restored station, and six or seven character trains from Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm glad you all had such a lovely time, it's the perfect way to enjoy Christmas while the children are little. Wishing you all a very happy New Year. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete