Thursday 20 November 2014

A Misty Mevagissey

During half term we visited my childhood home and of course this trip wouldn't be complete without a visit to the sea.  It renews my being and feeds my soul.  It's so strange - I literally feel a wave of calmness come over me.  The weather wasn't fantastic which meant that a beach wasn't the best idea - so we chose a local harbour - Mevagissey for our jaunt.  

In the inner harbour the boats were literally jostling for space.  They were moored up in their over wintering positions protected from the worst of the winter weather ahead.  Some of the little boats were lined up like soldiers in smart lines yet with different uniforms; their design, colour and size all varied.  We love to look out for boat names which often have meaning like 'Our Dream' or 'Sea Breeze'.  Little Lady found a boat with her christian name and was completely delighted.


The still water in the inner harbour reflected those beautiful colours even though the sun was nowhere to be seen.  It was such a grey, misty wet day yet there was so much colour and texture around to enjoy.



The outer harbour below was less packed but the mist was much more pronounced.  There were a couple of large (expensive) yachts moored up alongside the little fishing boats.  I do enjoy looking back towards land from an outer harbour wall.  The dwellings look nestled in so efficiently to the shape of the landscape.  They literally mould to the shape of the cliffs where people must have originally dug out a home straight into the side of the port.








This house in particular fills me with wonder.  I don't know much of the history of this architecture but it looks old and original!!  I love it for its quirkiness.  Many of the houses are largely covered in Cornish slate - partly because it is a local material and partly because it protects the surface from the attack of the salty elements.  The harbourside is like a jigsaw, carefully fitting its pieces into the slopes around the sea.




This cormorant was drying himself with his wings outstretched.  I'm not sure if this action actually dried him on this occasion - by this point the weather had deteriorated to 'Cornish Mizzle' - a mix of mist and drizzle which is ridiculously efficient at making anyone or anything very wet!!


Although the weather deteriorated we did enjoy our little visit to the Cornish seaside.  The little aquarium has been recently refitted and entry is by donation so that experience added to our enjoyment.  As did the delicacy of Cornish ice cream - to be relished even on a cold, autumn, misty wet day... Why not?!


Why not indeed.

J9 x

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Janine! What a pretty little place you grew up in. Love the old homes and higgeldy-piggeldy on the hillside :) I feel about our northern woods and lakes as you do about the sea. Very calming and you just feel like you belong there. Enjoy your day! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful how such places can invoke such a good feeling in us. Thanks too for sharing yours with me! J9 x

      Delete
  2. What an enchanting place to grow up in! Looks like a place I would love to visit too. Thanks for your visit to my blog and especially for taking time to leave a comment. I have enjoyed browsing around here. Your littles remind me so much of mine about 15 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous and I sometimes see other bloggers posting about this sweet harbour too! Thanks ever so much for taking time to leave me a comment - always lovely to meet new people! J9 x

      Delete
  3. There is nothing like that going home feeling is there! Just knowing what is where and how it will be is so comforting. Your third picture with the houses all nestled in is beautiful, especially with the mist and so on. I am glad that you had a lovely time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, you're so kind. You are right. I don't think I will ever tire of going home or of the restorative feeling it instills. Take care, J9 x

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a lovely break. I stayed in Mevagissey on holiday a few years ago and really loved it. You've brought back some good memories. So glad you had a good time too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you CJ. Meva can certainly get really crowded. It's a definite hot spot for tourists in summer especially. I love it most out of season- a bit like St. Ives when the plastic nonsense which accompanies high season seems to disappear and the real beauty of these places can be seen. And those determined sea gulls are less prolific! Glad to bring back some happy memories for you. Take care, J9 x

      Delete
  5. Mevagissey was one of my favourite day trips from my home in Devon when I was young and I have several photos of myself with an ice cream just like the one of your family. Thank you for taking me back.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete